Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

Succulent propagation, three methods.

Propagating succulents is fairly easy, and depending on the conditions of where you are some methods might suit you better. There are more methods to propagate succulents, but I will talk about my three favourite. 


Before you start propagation, you will need to let your cuttings (leaf or stem cutting) callus. This means letting the 'wound' dry for a few days. This acts like a scab for the plant, preventing rot and diseases getting in.

 

1) Over water

I have found the quickest results from 'Spear Head' (Senecio Kleiniiformis) and Perle Von Nurnberg. All you need to do is suspend the cutting over water, I usually let a stem touch the water slightly. If you don't have an empty bottle, you can put cling film over a cup and pierce a hole for cuttings. 

After a few weeks roots start to show. Let the roots grow long and then plant in a pot of soil.

 

2) In a sealed jar/container

I saw this method on Reddit, and thought it would be fun to try! In this experiment i used a string of pearls cutting, Perle Von Nurnberg cutting, and Perle Von Nurnberg leaves.

The string of pearls grew roots very quickly (top right), I normally use method 3 and it takes a while to start growing roots. I guess that it likes the warm humid environment, I keep this plant in the bathroom so this makes sense.

The 'Perle' cutting hasn't been doing well - it looks rotten and wilted. I usually use method 1 for cuttings, I think I will stick to it!

Top and left, method 3. Right, method 2

 Finally I have 'Perle' leaves. Surprisingly they grew roots really quickly. Leaves that I have for method 3 turn yellow and wrinkly.

 

 3) Over soil

This method is (in my opinion) the easiest method. All you do is place your cuttings on top of soil and let them grow! If you want, you can spray the soil a little, but its not necessary.

I have the best results with the Burros Tail succulent. You can see the leaves grow pups (small succulents on the ends of leaves) quickly, and cutting root quickly also.

I started some fishbone cactus cuttings (left) last week and they seems to be healthy. They like tropical environments so I keep the soil more damp than I would for others.

 

Finding the best method might take some time and casualties, but its worth it. In the end you will be able to get roots very very quick.

I believe dormancy is a factor in propagation, but that is a topic for another post.

 
----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts