Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

Thurrock Garden Centre - review

 Now that the COVID-19 regulations are easing, I decided to take a trip to Essex and buy some more succulents!

Thurrock Garden Centre had very good reviews online, so I will let you know what I thought about the store and their plants.

(from left to right) pachyphytum 'dark red', pachyphytum 'bracteosum', unnamed sedum


They had a very good layout, and everything looked very orderly and clean. At the entrance there was a station to clean the trolleys before walking in which is a great idea.

One strange thing was some pots that i bought (99p for 5, bargain!) were hidden away in the corner with the seeds, that's something to look out for when visiting. In terms of the layout, the placements of the products made lots of sense (at least to me) so it wasn't difficult figuring out where things were going to be. The seeds opposite the pots, tools opposite the fertiliser, and food and beauty products opposite the cafe at the exit. Maybe this is common, but I haven't seen this in other garden centres.

 

I have no complaints with the selection of plants also! Well, one complaint with the range of indoor succulents. I feel like they didn't have much choice, but this didn't really bother me as I prefer to buy succulents online. There were many different vegetables (including crystal lemon cucumbers and super hot pepper plants), and they were organised nicely. Off the top of my head, i remember isles labelled 'shade', 'sun', and 'alpine'. They also have David Austin Roses stocked, which is on my wishlist.

 

The only problem I did have was the 'condition' of the succulents. The pachyphytum plants both had very short roots and were very soggy. The roots were clumped in the middle so I guess they were propagated from stem cuttings and were shoved in pots as plugs. This problem isn't particularly the garden centre's fault, more the suppliers, but it is still a slight problem in my opinion. Then the problem with the unnamed sedum, was it was very dry and crispy. To be honest, I thought it was dead at the roots but after re-potting, it sprung back to life.


So, overall I would say that my trip was successful. The problems I had were not major as I have lots of experience with succulents, but people with little experience might have accidentally killed them!

 

----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.



Comments

Popular Posts