Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

How to save flower seeds from annuals

 


Growing flowers are one of my favourites, I love the beautiful blooms and growing them from seeds.


This year I have decided to save my seeds. I usually prune flowers before they go to seed to keep the plant looking healthy and green, but this summer I still don't have any guests (due to COVID 19 restrictions), so I have no reason to prune them.

 Firstly identify the buds that have seeds. These are the crispy/crunchy browned pieces, be careful not to knock them or the seeds could fall out and scatter everywhere. Cut them off (I like to use a sharp knife as its smaller than secateurs) and set aside. While you're there, you can prune any of the browned stems or leaves to allow more breathing space for the rest of the plant.

 
If you gently squeeze the bud, seeds should fall out. If they don't, carefully crack it open and put them aside, I opened them into a bowl. I found that sliding my thumb over the stubborn seeds didn't tear them.


Finally, store them somewhere dry. I used old 利事 (lai6 si6) packets that had the glue worn off, they wouldn't have been used and as they are paper they are great to keep seeds in. 


I would plant them the following year, but they can stay good for longer - if stored properly.

 

Tips for saving seeds:

  • The longer you leave the seeds on the plant, the better. If you can, wait until the pods fall off
  • If the flowers or seeds are not fully dry, allow them to dry for a week or so before storing them
  • The biggest and best looking flowers will produce the best seeds

 

----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts