Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

Great Big Green Week 2021

 
Great Big Green Week is a huge climate and nature event in the UK – between the 18th and the 26th of September.

 

What is GBGW?

Communities across the UK will be putting on events at an attempt to raise awareness on the pressing issues we face. In November, the UK will host a major UN conference so this is our change to be heard!

With partners such as WWF, The SRA, and Islamic Relief, you know that GBGW will be working with partners with great influence.

 

What will be happening?

The events are mainly community based. Have a look here (https://greatbiggreenweek.com/find-an-event/) to find something in your area.

I will be going for online events to be able to meet new people from all over the UK and to stay in the comfort of my home.

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/protecting-trees-and-woods/campaign-with-us/great-big-green-week/

 

What can you (and me!) do to help?

Taking a look at their website will give you all the resources you need to help!

We are trying to improve the planet, so I will list how I try my best.

 

Photo via. DLonis
Plant acorns

To grow into saplings, I will donate them to my local forests and plant some around my area 

 

Photo via. CarolSpears (left), ukwildflowers.com (right)
Letting weeds grow!

This year I’ve been letting the weeds flower and deadheading them to stop them from going to seed. There were more bees and butterflies than ever before! 

 

Photo via. (unknown)
Guerrilla gardening

Small efforts such as planting native flowers for pollinators and plant native fruiting plants (emphasis on native. Specifically, when you find an area to ‘garden’, collect seeds/cuttings from what is already there and plant what you have collected) are great for birds or other wildlife to eat. 

 

Photo via. Francesca Mulas
Re-using old pots for my plants

Things like empty yoghurt pots, drink cans, and empty tins are great to put little seedlings or a few bulbs in. They last for years, and they’re not just sitting in a landfill. 

 

Photo via. EvenGreener
Only using a water butt to water my plants

It does take quite a while to fill up my watering cans, but I use rainwater for my plants since it rains so much in England! 

 

Photo via. u/rewildingusa
Making insect and solitary bee homes

Bee houses are just for the solitary bees to rest in, without them they won’t have anywhere to stay (as they don’t belong to a hive). And the insect houses give them somewhere to stay, usually you’d find them under plant pots or I find them under bricks. When you clear out your garden, you clear out their homes! 

 

Photo via. BeeLovelyBotanicals
Buying as much as I can from small local businesses

My main reason to start buying from smaller businesses is due to the impact that big corporations are creating. Even though I the small businesses could be buying material from the large ones, I recognise that I am making an effort to pay a business that will be reducing their waste, paying employees AT LEAST a living wage, and trying their best to be sustainable (note: I only choose businesses that can show how they achieve these points).

 

----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

 

Comments

Popular Posts