Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

How to save space in your balcony garden

After watching the Virtual RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2021, I took some inspiration from the balcony gardens to be able to save space in mine. I don’t have a balcony but I will squeeze more plants in my garden at any chance I get!

 

Below I have compiled my 5 favourite ideas, let me know what you think.

 

1) Groundcover for extra green

I love the addition of groundcover or grass on your balcony as I feel like it brings the outdoor in (or up). You can choose a few different plants including moss and sedums.

 

 2) Vertical gardening

Vertical gardening will keep plants off your floor and decorate you balcony wall, achieving the ‘living wall’ look.

 

3) Hanging planters

To me, hanging planters have a very modern and boho look, so use them if you like this style. If you don’t like this style, opt for one that doesn’t use rope.

 

4) Railing planter boxes

These are a great way to add some more privacy as it increases the height of your railing! I quite like this option as there are many different styles to choose from.

 

5)  Benches for extra storage

Benches or steps will lift your pots off the floor and give you a bit more space – I would go for boxes to store my gardening equipment and soil.

 

----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

 (all photos via Pinterest)

Comments

Popular Posts