Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

How to make leafmould

Photo via Tumblr

Now is the time to start your leaf mould! I will be making it alongside my compost (I also started this year), so take a read to learn all about this.

 

What is leaf mould?

Leaf mould is formed when leaves decay and produce a crumbly compost-like soil conditioner. Although, it is different to compost as it is broken down by fungi, not bacteria.

 

What can I use leaf mould for?

  • Mulch
  • Use as a compost for seed-sowing
  • Improve soil – mix in, place on top
  • Mix with soil to make your own potting soil

Photo (left) by Holly's New Home, (right) Mark Severn

How to make leaf mould:

1) Collect your leaves – you can use a rake, leaf blower, or leaf grabbers

HACK: using your lawnmower after sweeping your leaves into a pile will chop them up and collect them for you! Chopped leaves will make them decompose faster

2) Store your leaves

METHOD 1: In a plastic bag – place all your leaves in a plastic bag, tie loosely, pierces holes, wait 2 years (roughly) for the leaves to decompose

METHOD 2: In a leaf mould bin – you can make a square cage using chicken wire with stakes supporting the corners. Chuck all the leaves in not too tightly packed and water it every so often.

Photo by Pro Garden Tips

Some tips:

  • Avoid leaves from busy streets – they can be polluted and have rubbish in the piles
  • Beech, oak and hornbeam leaves produce the best quality leaf mould
  • Pine tree needles are acidic – good for ericaceous plants
  • Urine can speed up the process – I personally will not be trying this one!
  • It is easier to collect leaves on a dry day with little wind
  • Aerate the leaves if they are breaking down slowly 


Let me know if you will try this!


 ----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts