Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

How to make recycled seed paper

Photo via Canva
Recycled seed paper is the perfect Christmas craft to use up all the extra pieces of wrapping paper, and an extra gift for the plant lovers in your life. The method I will share with you requires no blender, and no screen. Keep reading for more!

 

What you will need:

  • Paper
  • Container
  • Seeds
  • Water
  • Two cloths
  • A sponge
  • A tray
  • A towel

 

Step 1: choose your seeds

The seeds you use depends on where you plan on planting them. If you just want to plant them in your garden, you can use any seeds (I like to use flowers). But if you plan on doing some guerilla gardening, make sure you only use seeds native to the area! Last year I used clover, oxeye daisy, and small scabious.  I tried a few different seed companies, and I found that Naturescape worked best for me.

Photo by Sofia Clara
Step 2: chop up or shred your paper

You want to aim to make your paper as small as possible to make step 3 easier – if you have a shredder, that would be best. I don’t so I chop or tear it up in to very thin strips.

Photo by Sofia Clara
Step 3: soak your paper

Add enough water to completely cover the paper and let it sit for a few hours. If you put too much water, it will be harder to press it out as we dont have a screen to let the excess drain out.

 

Step 4: break up your paper

I found it easiest to grab handfuls and rub them in between my hands as it breaks up the fibers a lot quicker than tearing it. Another method I have seen (but not tried) is using a mortar and pestle.

 

Step 5: pour your paper mulch in the tray

First line the tray with one cloth, then using a fork (to let extra water drip off) gently put your mulch on the tray until it covers it completely. I like to make mine a bit thicker than regular paper as I find that when its too thin, it tears when I touch it.

 

Step 6.1: press as much water out as you can

Place the second cloth on top of the mulch and press on it with your sponge. Remember to keep wringing out water from the sponge and top cloth, and keep going until no more water can be pressed out.

Photo by mamaskram

Step 6.2: sprinkle the seeds on the paper

When the paper just about staying together, I like to sprinkle the seeds on. If the paper is too wet, I find that they stick to the bottom cloth (as they get pressed through the paper), or it sticks to the top cloth when the paper is too dry. I have mixed in the seeds with the paper mulch, but I run into the former problem.

Photo by Sofia Clara
Step 7: place your paper on a towel and leave to dry

Once you’ve pressed out as much water as your can, gently pick it up from the bottom cloth and flip it on to the towel. Then slowly peel off the cloth and leave the paper somewhere bright to dry out completely.

 

Once your paper is dry, you can cut it up however you want!

 

Photo by Brit + Co

Optional step 1: press out your shape

If you want a shaped seed paper, at step 5, pour your mulch into a cookie cutter and continue the steps. Or, once the paper is dry, you can trace the cookie cutter with a pencil and cut out the shape. With the scraps from this, you can plant them too!

Photo by fromthesummersgarden

Optional step 2: adding dried flowers

If you like this look, mix in your flowers once you have finished making your mulch.

 

----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts