Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

How to overwinter your plants

Photo via Pinterest
As the UK’s first frost date is approaching, I will go over how to overwinter your plants! Overwintering is simply protecting them from the cold – as this can damage them. I usually store my plants in the garage or shed, keep reading for the different tips.

 

Moving plants indoors:

  • Clean up the plant before moving them

What I mean by this is; trim any foliage or died/dying pieces, clean the pot and remove any worms/pests when you spot them. Since you would be keeping your pots together, pests can easily hop around.

  • Store them somewhere that’s dry, and has a steady temperature

You can take some plants indoors (such as houseplants and herbs) and keep them in bright indirect light with careful watering. This will make sure the plant continues to grow. Some plants like to have a period of dormancy (like bulbs) so making sure there is a constant cold will ensure that they know its winter.

Photo by Susan in the garden

  • Prepare bulbs, corns, and tubers for overwintering

Cut off any foliage, then dig up the bulb/corn/tuber, remove all the dirt, and let it dry out (to avoid moisture or mold). Then you can store them somewhere cool, dark and dry until after the last frost date.

  • Reduce watering

Your plants will be going in to dormancy, not ‘active growth’ so there will be no need for regular watering.

  • Reduce the chance of damp or mold

You can raise your pots off the ground, space them slightly apart, trim foliage to avoid them touching, and open doors and windows periodically to allow air flow.

 

Keeping plants outdoors:

Photo via Pinterest

  • Brush off snow

Gently brush off snow from your plants with a broom before it freezes – this will stop the plants bending under the weight.

  • Use a heater in your greenhouse

Paraffin heaters are a great addition to protect your most delicate plants.

  • Wrap big pots in bubble wrap or hessian

This keeps as much warmth in as possible and keeps roots from freezing.

  
Photo via HGTV

  • Lay horticultural fleece on your plants

Gently lay the fleece over your plants to protect them from rain snow or hail.

 

I hope my tips help you with protecting your plants this winter!

 

 ----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts