Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

How I save rotten succulents

Succulents can rot for a number of reasons; overwatering, disease, or bacteria. During the winter I find my succulents rotting more than usual, most recently half of my peperomias died after I forgot to open all the windows in my lean-to. But I found my jellybean succulents had been taken over by a white mould. Keep reading to find out how I tackle this!

 

1) Remove all the plants

You can see in the photo that have a few cuttings, so taking them out the pot will allow me to take a look at the condition of them all.


2) Take off anything salvageable

Some of the leaves and the newer growth of the plants are not yet affected by the rot, so they could be good to use. Pinch off the leaves and slice off new growth with a clean, sharp knife.


3) Allow the cuttings to callous over

Then I follow the usual steps for propagating cuttings. Keep these away from any cuttings from healthy plant, just incase these ones have any germs on them.


4) Dispose of the old soil

Old soil could contain pests or germs, so its best to dispose of it. I have a hole in my garden (due to wildlife) so I will chuck the soil in there. If you want, you could sanitize the soil instead.


5) Clean plant pot

Cleaning plant pots are easy. You can wash them with soap and water, or white vinegar in a spray bottle.


6) Clean the area the rotten plant was kept

Just in case there are diseases or pests lurking in this area, clean it to protect your other plants.

 

And that’s all! If you have any other methods, please let me know!

 

 ----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts