Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

What to do with your old christmas tree

Photo via Pinterest
If you had a real tree over the festive period, there are 7 different ways you can repurpose it instead of throwing it away.

 

Photo by Kolin Smith
1) turn it into mulch or compost

First, chop it up into small pieces so it can decompose easier. If you’re using the material for mulch you can place it where you need it. If you’re using your material for compost, it would be a good idea to let it dry out so you can stock up on brown material – I sometimes find I never have enough!

 

Photo by arbordayblog.org

2) use it for a wildlife habitat

Small animals (like rabbits) may not have many places to stay over the winter. Chopping your tree up then making a heap will provide a dense cover for them to stay. If this is too much work, you can stand it up and let birds nest in your tree. The fresh wood can also be a source of food for animals during winter.

 

3) donate it to a conservation scheme

Conservation schemes and your local council can use your spent tree for their personal projects. This could be making wildlife habitats or using the wood for wood chips. You can search online for the different organisations that offer this – I know that my local council collects trees with green rubbish.


4) chop up to use for fires

During the winter I like to sit in my garden with my fire pit and buying lots of wood can become expensive. Simply chop the tree up into smaller pieces and store it somewhere dry.


5) let it decompose in the garden

Leaving it in the garden will give it a chance to become a habitat for animals, birds, and insects!


Photo by cook quilt make and bake
6) make fragrance sachets

Pine needles are very fragrant so using them in your home is a great idea!

Instructions:

  • Collect pine needles, and allow them to dry a little
  • Pour them into a fabric drawstring bag, or even a loose leaf teabag
  • Store wherever you want them!

 

Photo via Country Living
7) use the wood for craft projects

On Pinterest I see many cool projects that require wood – candle holders, succulent planters, name card holders, and more! Using the wood that you already have will save you money!

 

 

I hope you enjoyed my list of ways to reuse your Christmas tree. If you have thought of some that I haven’t, you can message me on my social medias.


 ----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.

Comments

Popular Posts