Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

Gardening for beginners - where to start? What do I need?

Gardening can be quite overwhelming if you are an absolute beginner. I always thought that my gardening had to ‘look’ like the beautifully manicured gardens like in Kew. But I am far from that! If you’re struggling on where to start with this hobby, I hope my post will help you.


createandfind, via flowersandflowerthings, Claus Dalby, via sweetandsavory, Potomac Floral Wholesale
Where to start with gardening?

Finding out what you like is the most important part (in my opinion). When you think of what kind of garden you want to create and what plants you like, what do you think of? 

Take a look at my list below if you need a bit of inspiration:

  • Succulents and houseplants
  • Edible plants
  • Ornamental grasses
  • Flowering plants
  • Trees
  • Tropical plants
  • Woodland plants
  • Container garden

Ansel & Ivy, via Fine Gardening Magazine, Proven Winners Direct, Dengarden
What plants are beginner friendly?

Now you’ve established what you like, you’ll be interested in getting your hands on some plants. The easiest plants to care for should be the most common ones as they’d have the simplest growing conditions for plant nurseries.


Here are a few beginner friendly plants:

  • Succulents and houseplants - Crassula Ovata, Sedum Morganianum, Monstera, Spider Plant
  • Vegetables - lettuce, peas, carrots, kale, swiss chard
  • Fruit -  tomatoes, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries
  • Herbs - lavender, thyme, basil, mint

What equipment do I need?

You don’t need much to start growing plants. But here are some things that I believe are a must:

  • Soil - and appropriate soil mixes (eg. for succulents)
  • Hand trowel - you don’t have to have a hand trowel, anything that can do the same. I used to have a designated spoon!
  • Plant pots - when planting my succulents, I prefer to use plastic containers such as yoghurt pots. For my outdoor plants, I’ve used builder’s buckets as they were sturdier and cheaper than a plant pot of the same size
  • Secateurs - you’ll find yourself needing to chop bits off plants, so secateurs come in handy. I also use a pair of scissors or a sharp knife (only for plants) for more precise cuts

Pick the best spots for your plants

Different plants require different conditions, so research what they like before buying them. Some may like direct light + high humidity, or shade + cold temperatures, or shade + hot temperatures.


Learn the absolute basics

No matter what plants you decide to grow, these skills will be needed:

  • Preparing the ground
  • Planting your plants - including potting your plants
  • Learn how to identify common pests
  • Basic pruning
  • Looking after tools

 

 
----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.    

Comments

Popular Posts