Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

The best easy and fast growing plants for children

Photo by u/Heggie007
Growing up, I loved to plant seeds, take care of them and wait for them to grow. Giving children the task of growing their own plants will be very fun and rewarding for them. Take a look at the list of different plants you can grow with your children!


Top left harrisseeds, top right eden brothers, bottom left Rural Sprout, bottom right via Bees and Roses
Fruit and veg:

  • Beans - high yield (produces lots of beans), and it is easy to sprout in a bit of kitchen roll! You can also customise your bean by etching a image before sprouting - then the design will grow on it’s first leaf 
  • Herbs - such as chives, basil, or lavender. You can grow them from seeds easily, but note that mint is invasive. After the herbs’ success, you can also encourage children to practice the very easily water propagation method
  • Potatoes - do you ever end up with lots of potatoes that have sprouted? In the spring, you can plant them to grow your own potatoes! Check out my guide on growing your own potatoes
  • Salad plants - salad plants are easy because they can be harvested a mere 30 days after sowing! They’re also a great way to encourage children to eat healthier.
  • Strawberries - they can tolerate lots of soil conditions and grow well as long as they’re in full sun. You can also teach your children about asexual reproduction with their ‘runners’
  • Tomatoes - the easiest way I’ve grown tomatoes has been by washing seeds out of a slice and shoving them under soil. They’re often described as good beginner plants as they have few problems
Top left via boredpanda, top right via pinterest, bottom left via getty images, bottom right Alice In Wonderland

Flowers:

  • Sunflowers - to make them even more impressive, you could try sowing the ‘Skyscraper Sunflower’ that produces 40cm wide flower heads and 3.6m tall stems
  • Nasturtiums - they thrive on neglect as fertiliser and nutrient rich soil results in lots of foliage and very few flowers
  • Marigolds - if you’ve seen my social media post on marigolds, you would know that they have very easily self-seeded themselves around my garden! You can also grow some edible varieties that are often used as garnish for dishes
  • Daisies - daisies are not just weeds! You can also buy seeds for more unusual varieties such as the cape daisy, gerbera daisy, or florist’s daisy
  • Pansies - whenever I see pansies, I immediately think of Alice In Wonderland. If your child is a Disney fan, pansies will be a great novelty option

When I go shopping, I would usually guess that the cheapest seeds would be the easiest as the more expensive seeds would come from harder to cultivate plants.


What do you think? Would you add another plant to this list?

 

----> Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, Nate.   

Comments

Popular Posts