Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

Gardening with gloves, or without gloves?

Personally I prefer to do any gardening without gloves - I can mostly get away with weeding stinging nettles and brambles! I find that using my bare hands makes it easier to handle things (delicate plants or pulling weeds), is more convenient than washing gloves, and is less uncomfortable than gloves (it’s hard to find a pair that fits ‘like a glove’).


There are some ‘fears’ around not wearing gloves, so I’ll go over each one and why I am not worried!


*Everything listed below is my personal opinion, not to be taken as factual information*


The Wildlife Trusts
Can I get bitten by a venomous animal while gardening?

In England, I believe that there are 2 venomous animals; adders and hairy caterpillars. I have never come across any of these animals,and I don’t often have anything crawling on me. For that reason I’m not worried about getting hurt.


I also don’t mind any mammals in my garden as they all run away from me!


Can I get hurt by plants while gardening?

The most common harmful plants to touch include lords-and-ladies, stinging nettles, brambles (or other plants with thorns) and cow parsnip. I never touch any plant I can’t identify with my bare hands. When I want to touch a harmful plant, I do so with gardening tools - for example with secateurs or with a gardening hoe.


What animal waste is in my garden?

Animal waste is on top of my list for things I never want to touch with bare hands. Almost all of my gardening is done in containers. When I do need to touch the ground (for planting, prepping, or anything else) I would wear gloves for a bit until I'm sure there is no waste.


Are garden fertilisers dangerous to touch?

I like to use liquid fertilisers for convenience, it’s also fun to measure out and mix. Liquid fertilisers can start to be absorbed by plants in 5 days at most so by the time I need to be digging around, there are minimal traces of it.


Is getting cut while gardening dangerous?

I get cut and scraped almost every time I do some gardening because I am quite careless and not bothered by it. Cutting cut and not cleaning your wound leaves it open to bacteria. When you do get cut, make sure to clean it well and cover it before going back to the garden.


What do you think? Will you be joining me without gloves, or will you stick to them? Let me know, I’d love to hear your opinions.

Comments

Popular Posts