Skip to main content

Featured

Why do I prefer container gardening?

Almost all my plants are kept in containers - any shape and size! A lot of people do prefer to garden in raised beds, the soil can keep its quality better year after year in the ground.  But I prefer to use a different container for each plant! Keep reading to hear my pros and cons for container gardening. u/Longjumping-Quit7471, u/Living-Valuable-376, u/Parking-Bit-9217, u/RaintreeJames   What is container gardening? Container gardening is keeping all your plants in pots. It's ideal for if you don't have much space, or for me it works better! For beginners it's a good way to start, you don't need to buy much.  Weeding your plants is much easier: With only the space in the container, it's easier to keep up with weeding. As I’m weeding more often, I find the roots don't get a chance to develop, and they pull out easier. I can avoid the pesky mosquitoes in the summer: Mosquitos are the devil in the summer! Where I still have some beds, over the winter I can't

Seeds to start now in autumn

Autumn is a slower month for plants. I find that it is mainly maintaining my space and keeping it manicured for when summer comes. There are a few jobs to complete during autumn and sowing seeds is one of them!


When is it Autumn for plants?

Autumn for plants means that its time for them to go dormant and save energy - so it can grow in spring. Here are some signs that autumn has begun:

  • Leaves turn different colours and fall off
  • Birds start to migrate
  • Fruits appear for foraging
  • Seeds fall on the floor
  • Ivy will be flowering
  • Lots of mushrooms pop up

Top left u/OneDoorDungeons, top right u/matrixboy303, bottom dengarden

Why should I sow seeds in Autumn?

  • You will have plants that will be ready for harvest earlier - the seedlings will be ready earlier than if you start it in spring
  • The seeds will stratify naturally - stratification is when the seed gets shocked by the cold to make them start to grow. If you sow seeds now, you won't have to carry out this process yourself

Top Sow North, bottom left insaneinthebrine, bottom middle The RHS, bottom right Our Permaculture Life
What vegetables can I sow now?

  • Turnip
  • Spinach
  • Winter lettuce
  • Radish
  • Winter salad plants, eg. Chinese or Japanese salad leaves, mustard, and mizuna
  • Overwintering onion sets

Left u/beecityuk, top right My Garden Life, middle right u/sir-shoelace, bottom right u/mjaj3184
What flowers can I sow now?

  • Sweet peas
  • Queen Anne’s Lace
  • English marigold
  • Cornflower
  • Love-in-a-mist
  • Poppies

Left The Conservation Volunteers, right Modern Farmer
What tree seeds can I sow now?

September is when I like to start my seed collecting and any berries that you find can be used to plant too. I will simply remove the flesh and plant in pots. 

  • Seeds - willow, horse chestnut, oak, birch
  • Berries - hawthorn, yew, apple, blackthorn, holly

And that is all. Will you be sowing any seeds over the winter?

 

--> Thank you for taking the time to read this post, Nate 

Comments

Popular Posts